At the NEDLAC Development Chamber meeting held on 28 May 2019, the Department of Home Affairs gave a presentation on its’ white paper on the repositioning programme for Home Affairs.
Some of the key issues arising from the presentation include:
- The “User-pays” principle being proposed by the Department, seeking to cross subsidise Government administrative processes;
- The Department foreshadows revenue streams of up to R20 Billion per annum which could be achieved through charges out for service delivery. These would include, but not limited to :
– Businesses such as banks and insurance companies being charged to verify national status such as IDs through the Department (sole custodian of this data).
– Increases to VISA charges- noting that South Africa has one of the lowest costs for VISAs in the world
– Review and increase of work permit costs as well a the criteria for awarding corporate permits.
Social partners made a request for NEDLAC engagements on the white paper and as such it was agreed that a four-a-side Task Team needs to be urgently established to consider the Home Affairs white paper.
Members are hereby requested to nominate suitable candidates to serve on the Task Team by filing in the table below.
All nominations should be submitted to Joseph Mtolo (Tshidim@sacci.org.za) by close of business on Monday, 03 June 2019.
Please note that a call for input will be circulated shortly for members to provide input on the white paper on the Home Affairs repositioning programme.
|Name of Nominee||Gender||Race||Current Employment||SACCI Membership
|Relevant technical experience and motivation based on Task Team||Contact details (E-mail & Cell Phone)|